Here’s another “late” post!
I have been having some trouble with the electrical connection between The Fire Bike and my trailer. I’ve changed both the plug on the trailer and the socket on the bike but can’t get things to stay connected properly. The connection is too loose causing me to lose lights on the trailer. I decided that I would do away with the trailer socket on the bike and use the 5-way superseal connector I had fitted for the top box lights. Recently this has become pretty much redundant.
I traced the wiring on the trailer to check out what does what before wiring in the other half of the superseal connector. Although all 7 wires of the trailer plug were wired up one wasn’t connected to anything and two others were joined together so only one of them was needed.
- Yellow “L” – LH indicator.
- Blue “54g” – Fog lamp (not used).
- White “31” – Earth/ground.
- Green “R” – RH indicator.
- Brown “58R” – RH tail but connected to both tail lamps.
- Red “54” – Brake lights.
- Black “58L” – LH tail but connected to both tail lamps.
I therefore cut back and insulated the ends of the blue and black cables as they won’t be reused. It was then easy to fit the other half of the superseal connector to the trailer, or you would have thought so! I made a note of the numbered connections to the half already on the bike then wired the trailer the same, but that’s just too easy. The two halves are each numbered 1 to 5 alright, but in reverse order to each other! Once that was sorted all worked as it should.
Here are the old and new plugs with a blanked off socket to keep the weather out when it’s disconnected.
And connected up. When not in use the cable end is clipped up to the indicator bracket as it was before. In use it’s clipped to the tow bracket.
I’ve used the trailer twice since making this modification with complete success.