All legal – 23 Feb 2016.

Well, after all this time, Rhino is legally back on the road. Before I come to that, I made a change to the side stand stop that I made out of an exhaust clamp. I just felt that the stand, when retracted, was too close to the chrome exhaust header.

I had already wrapped some amalgamating tape around it to quieten down the clank when the stand springs back and now I rotated the extra exhaust clamp so that the bolt head acted as the stop.


This did the trick but now the stand seemed too far from the exhaust. I swapped the bolt supplied with the clamp for a cap-head type which made all the difference.



Yesterday, I phoned my insurance company and added road risks to the cover on Rhino. He had been covered for damage, fire and theft but not for road use till now. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told there was no additional premium to pay. Apparently this is because I was already paying enough based on the agreed value.

Next, I called in on my local bike MOT tester, Richard, who said to bring the bike over in the afternoon, which I did. I like to use him because he’s enthusiastic about old bikes, thorough but reasonable, clearly enjoys what he does and is just 8 miles away down mainly country lanes. He also remembers my name which I like.

I got myself and the bike ready then realised I don’t have a mirror. It’s not a requirement in the UK on a bike of this age but, I’m not as flexible as I once was and feel safer with one. I pinched the right hand mirror from The Fire Bike and clamped it to the bars temporarily. Turns out that it has just the right amount of reach to be useful although it may not be very elegant.



The bike passed it’s MOT (UK road-worthiness test) after we set the headlamp using the garage beam-setter. This was despite the discovery of one slightly loose spoke in the rear wheel. We could have tightened it there and then but I was concerned about whether the end of the spoke would poke a hole in the tube.

I had forgotten just how “strong” a V7Sport engine feels. That’s not just compared to my V7 loop but also the 850 engined S3 I used to have. This original 750 engine hadn’t run since 1979 when the chrome detached from the barrels, ruined the crank, and was replaced by the T3 engine which went into the S3 many years later. I’m going to enjoy this.

The re-lined brakes are fantastic even though they’ve still got to bed in properly.

I’ll have to take it easy for a bit as everything’s only just been rebuilt. Also the tyres, though just legal, are old (2003) so I shall have to change them soon.

The final step was to tax Rhino. I did this on line today which was painless as he’s registered as an historic vehicle at a tax rate of ¬£0.


Finally off the bench – 13 Feb 2016.

I did a few very minor jobs before finally getting the bike off the lifting bench and onto the ground.

Adjust gear lever. The gear lever was hitting the footrest when hooked up to change gear.


Moving it around one spline on the shaft would be much too much. So adjustment was made to the linkage at the back of the gear box.


Side stand stop. Originally, a side stand was an optional extra on V7Sports. The kit comprised the stand complete, a longer front engine bolt and a stop to weld to the lower frame rail. Rhino never had this last bit fitted which prevents the stand banging the exhaust and taking the chrome off. I could welded something on but was concerned about getting it in the right place given that the bike had been fully dismantled.

Instead I bought a 34-37mm exhaust clamp for the stand to rest against. Initially I had intended to slide a piece of hose over the head of the bolt for the stand to rest against.


I held the stand down with a bungee strap after getting a whack  from it at the first attempt.


However, I found the stand and its spring were clear of the exhaust if I just let the stand come to rest against the clamp.


The underseat light was loosened and slid upward so that it now goes out when the seat is down.

Getting the bike off the bench was a bit of a performance. I put my step next to the bench so that I was standing at the same height as the bike then tried to roll it off the stand. The whole bike just slid along until the front wheel went into the wheel clamp. However, by now it wasn’t properly on the centre stand either. With my wife ready to steady the bike, just in case, I clamped the front wheel and tied the bike down by the top yoke with a ratchet strap. I was then able to jack up the bike by the sump and fold the stand up. I think the pivot bolts could do with loosening a little. The bike was lowered again and released from the wheel clamp.




A little facelift – 7 Feb 2016.

Regular visitors to this blog may have noticed that things look a little different today. I’ve been considering changing to a new WordPress theme for a while and I finally took the plunge today. I chose the previous theme on purpose because of its “grubby” look but became a bit tired of it. The blog now looks cleaner and clearer. It’s also now responsive and should be easier to view on smart phones and tablet computers.

Although it makes no difference to the functionality of the blog, I have given up on Photobucket as a repository for photos and videos. It has become slow and difficult to use with a constant string of failed uploads and other issues. It never seems to stay fixed for long.

Recently I’ve started using Imgur for my photos and Vidme for videos. Both these sites allow me to store my photos/videos privately while allowing access to individual items through links embedded in the blog posts.

I hope you approve of the changes.

Update 29 Mar 16: I’ve had to stop using Imgur to host my photos because hot-linking to them from my blog goes against their terms and conditions. I’m going back through all the posts which had Imgur based photos and changing the links. I’ve returned to using Photobucket which now seems to be behaving itself again.