Battery and seat fitting – 27 Jan 2016.

Battery Holder.

As I said last time, their are only a few outstanding jobs. One of these is to make some arrangement to hold my battery. The original equipment Guzzi battery was massive and for some years I have successfully used a small Odyssey battery. It’s now very old and could soon be replaced with something of a different size. This meant I didn’t want to spend too much time and effort on this but, as usual, the opposite happened.

My first thought was to make up a dummy battery from some plywood left over from a job in the house. This would be around the size of the original and painted black. My little battery would be hidden inside. I got this far.

DSCF2142-1

Then I changed my mind! I broke out the MIG welder and made up a metal cage from 20 x 3mm steel strip. It consists of 2 hoops round the battery connected together. The top hoop has a bracket each side so it can be fastened to the forward-most mounting points for the tool box on each side. The lower hoop also has a bracket to locate it on the lower mount for the right hand tool box. The battery itself stands on the original rubber mat and is held down by a clamp screwed to a bracket on each side of the top hoop. The nuts are welded to the underside of the brackets.

The quality of the welding is “variable” but good enough. Here the frame is being test fitted with the tool boxes off.

DSCF2155-1

DSCF2153-1

It took a long time to give the battery cage two coats of “Hammerite Smooth” as it had to be done in two stages or there was no way to hold the thing.

DSCF2158-1

Again there was a test fitting.

DSCF2159-1

It was then fitted properly along with the tool boxes. This time some rubber strips were cut to protect the battery.

DSCF2168-1

DSCF2160-1

The Seat.

I have the original seat for Rhino. It’s not perfect and has some damage but I’ve yet to see a good enough replacement seat cover. The one sold by Cycle Garden in America looks good but is expensive and, of course, I’ve only seen photos. Anyway, I’m going to use the original, at least for now. There were two issues. The cover is coming away from the metal seat pan in places and the pan has some surface rust.

DSCF2145-1

The edges of the cover were re-fixed with impact adhesive after cleaning the surfaces as best I could. I held them in place with “bulldog” type clips while the glue dried.

DSCF2146-1

I removed the strap which is secured to the seat pan with large self-tapping screws, rubbed off the worst of the rust, then gave two coats of “Hammerite Smooth” to all the metal surfaces I could get at.

DSCF2147-1

I gave the paint a couple of days to harden before fitting the seat to the bike. The seat fixes to and hinges on the very back of the frame. Two tapered rubber bushes fit in brackets either side of the seat and bolts pass through them to mount the seat using nuts and a mixture of washers. These are the same rubber bushes as used to mount the instruments on the V7Sport and some other models. I made some new stainless steel sleeves to fit.

DSCF2161-1

Here are the bushes fitted to the seat on one side.

DSCF2162-1

The seat was remounted and the rear mudguard fitted to the back of it.

DSCF2163-1

It looks like I’m finally getting close.

DSCF2164-1

DSCF2165-1

DSCF2166-1

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s