All the wiring is now on Rhino. Here’s a run down of the final jobs.
Tail lamp wiring. I think that, originally, the wiring for the stop and tail light might have been a continuation of the main loom and not a separate sub-loom. However, I have incorporated a join under the seat and an earth return wire.
Before I could tackle the wiring the lamp and its mount had to come off the rear mudguard. I decided that the rubber gasket I had fitted might trap the wiring and damage it. A slot was cut to give more space. Before and after photos.
The original wiring at the tail lamp was in a pretty sorry state. I cut off the original terminals and pushed the wires out of the bulb holder so I could look at remaking them. The bulb contacts are spring loaded.
The back of the bulb holder is marked;
- LP – Tail light.
- LS – Stop light.
I cut the contacts off and carefully drilled out the remains of the wire strands and solder using a 1mm then 1.5mm drill. I then tinned my wires and soldered them inside. This rubbish photo of the tail light contact shows that it wasn’t a very neat job.
A bit of heat shrink sleeve tidied them up.
The two contacts were fitted back to the lamp housing and I checked that the springs still allowed the contacts to retract then come out again so the bulb could be fitted. I made up an earth cable with a tag to the lamp mounting bolt and checked continuity. Bullet connectors were fitted to the three wires and the extension cabling was made to connect the light up to the main loom.
Brake light switches. These are fitted in the brake cables. I had some twin core automotive cable and used this to add the short lengths to link them to the main loom. They were easy to make, just having terminals at each end, but were pigs to fit. I had to take each cable off to do it.
Starter button. This is just another short piece of wiring from the connector block under the tank to the button under the front brake lever. The start button used screw terminals and my old wiring had the ends hardened with a blob of solder. I had to do something similar so crimped on some “bootlace” connectors, shortened them a bit, then filled them with solder. They should be tough but soft enough to be compressed by the terminal screws.
Coil link cable. This is just a length of wire with a terminal at each end to link the +ve terminals of the ignition coils together.
Contact breaker wiring. I had intended to remake the wire from each coil to its contact breaker. However, I haven’t got all the necessary terminals to hand. The original wires seem very good anyway and I might just leave them alone.
Battery cables. I bought some 16mm² starter cable and terminals to fit. These are two right-angled with an 8mm hole for the starter terminal and earth point, and two straight ones with a 6mm hole to fit on the battery terminals. I don’t own any of the expensive crimping tools designed to fit these heavy duty terminals. However I have an alternative method which works for me.
First I remove enough insulation from the cable to allow it to fit inside the terminal plus about 4mm or so. Then I crimp the terminal on the end by squashing it in the vice with a hard rod beside it to make a decent dent.
Next I use my butane torch to heat the terminal and fill it with solder. This is why the extra insulation is cut off. If you don’t, you can’t get the solder in and the cable insulation will melt back up the cable anyway.
I fit heat shrink over the bare cable and the stem of the terminal. Then another layer over that plus a bit of the insulation. It does the job.
That’s all the wiring I can think of completed apart from the spark plug wires. I need to do some testing next.