It’s about time I brought you up to date with progress on Rhino the V7Sport.
A couple of weeks ago I test fitted the fuel tank more to see what it will look like than anything else. I’m having trouble getting everything seated on the various support rubbers and will have to experiment with positioning until they are right. Having got this far the seat was put on. It just had to be done.
It’s looking very pretty. The seat cover is not perfect but is original. I’ll take it off and clean up the seat base and see how it looks when everything else is done. I fitted the rear mudguard using the proper thumb bolts and washers. The bike has never had these in all the 37 years I’ve owned it till now. Looking at the parts book, I see that there should be a rubber gasket between the tail light bracket and mudguard. Again I’ve never seen one of these. It seems you can still get them but I made one from some 2mm rubber I had in my gasket box.
I added the tail light as well but forgot to take a photo!
I had taken the toolbox locks to bits a year ago so they could go for chroming. Happily I made notes of what belonged where and stuck the various parts to a sheet of paper so they could not get muddled/lost.
Again I used the info from Greg Bender’s site on dismantling the locks and all went back together with only one mishap. There are 8 tiny springs in each lock and, when I got to number 16, I managed to fire it into the air. I didn’t hear it land and it took 40 minutes of searching but I did find it.
The locks were fitted to the toolboxes and these in turn were fitted to the frame using new rubber washers etc.
I know I’ve got to take the tank and seat off again but the bike is looking how I want it to be.
Since doing this, I’ve been on holiday for a week then generally “under the weather” so nothing more has been done. I’ve also got some DIY to do now but I’ll be back soon.